Vanderbilt University School of Medicine has a reciprocal relationship with 4 institutions:
- Karolinska Institute, Sweden
- University of Copenhagen, Denmark
- University of Jordan, Amman, Jordan
- University of Melbourne, Australia
Students at these institutions who are nominated by their faculty may submit applications for up to three (3) months of elective rotations at Vanderbilt.
In addition, Vanderbilt University clinical faculty members who personally know an international student from an institution other than the 4 above may nominate them for rotation. (Please see nomination form at right.) Randomly contacting Vanderbilt faculty in hopes of securing a nomination is not appropriate. Please, no phone calls.
- International students may only rotate November through April.
- Each student may take up to three (3) rotations.
- Rotations must adhere to Vanderbilt School of Medicine's academic calendar.
- Cost is $250 for registration plus $750 per elective.
- International visiting students must be full-time students in their final year of medical school.
- Students must attend an Orientation on the first morning of their rotation.
Unfortunately, we cannot accommodate international medical students who neither a) attend one of the 4 institutions above nor b) have an established relationship with one of Vanderbilt's clinical faculty members. Randomly contacting Vanderbilt faculty in hopes of securing a nomination is not appropriate. Please, no phone calls.
For more information on the program, email email@example.com.
Once a prospective student has been nominated by their institution or by a Vanderbilt faculty member, an application must be initiated 90 days prior to the student's arrival in order to complete necessary paperwork. All application materials must be turned in 14 days prior to the beginning of the rotation.
The following documentation is required:
- Letter of Good Standing from your home institution
- Official Transcript, translated into English
- Proof of immunizations / immunization record
- Proof of Health Insurance
- Proof of Malpractice Coverage
- Current Criminal Background Check
TOEFL Exam Scores: Vanderbilt requires a minimum score of 570 PBT or 100 IBT. TOEFL Exam may be waived if student has been taught in English.
In addition, your VISA must be in order for you to enter the United States, and you must go online and complete your Business Visitor Questionnaire. This Questionnaire will begin your process in obtaining the paperwork for your VISA. Please complete this form even if you do not require assistance in obtaining a VISA.