American Heart Association Supporting Undergraduate Research Experiences (AHA SURE)
Considering a Career in Health Care or Science?
Through a partnership with the American Heart Association (AHA), mentored summer research experiences are available to students from groups underrepresented in science. Awardees will be mentored by current AHA-funded scientists who are pursuing basic or clinical research in cardiovascular disease.
- Learn the Biological, Behavioral, and Social Determinants of Health: Discover what factors affect health in vulnerable populations through the AHA’s extensive, unique resources.
- Gain Invaluable Experience and Mentoring: Work with an AHA-associated researcher, sampling career paths and learning how the AHA supports research.
The AHA is committed to increasing diversity in science and in the delivery of health care. The program advances and promotes a rich academic experience for Scholars from historically underrepresented groups. We encourage careers in health services, research, community engagement and public service.
- Candidate should have expressed interest in in biomedical research or health care
- Student could be pursuing a degree in any field, but must have interest in health care
- Student must be a full-time undergraduate, and be a rising sophomore, junior, or senior
- Student must have exemplary academic performance
- Student must be from an underrepresented group in science or medicine
- $6,000 stipend
- Housing on campus is provided. Information on Vanderbilt summer housing can be found here: https://www.vanderbilt.edu/meetatvanderbilt/academic-intern-housing/
- Opportunity to travel to an AHA scientific meeting
The application will include:
- A brief personal statement which addresses your scientific interests, your qualifications for the program, and how you believe this program will help you achieve your professional goals.
- Two letters of recommendation submitted online (if you have prior research experience, it will be helpful to have a letter from your research mentor).
- Uploaded unofficial transcript
The application opens on October 1. The application deadline is February 1, 2024. Click here to start the application through the Vanderbilt Summer Science Academy.
- Joey V. Barnett, Ph.D.