Vanderbilt Vaccine Center
The Vanderbilt Vaccine Center is committed to impacting global health through fundamental research that fosters development and testing of new vaccines for infectious diseases. Our international team of scientists and physicians focuses on work with major human pathogens, especially microbial threats that affect the most vulnerable subjects such as infants and the elderly. Many of the targets we study are particularly important in developing world settings. We also conduct research related to biodefense and emerging infectious diseases. Students selected for the VVC program will be performing research in the laboratory of Dr. James Crowe, director of the Vanderbilt Vaccine Center or Dr. Ivelin Georgiev, faculty member at the Vanderbilt Vaccine Center. Additionally, students will participate in VSSA activities throughout the summer to enrich their research activities through seminars and social activities.
The Vanderbilt Vaccine Center Program provides a summer stipend of $3900 for the 8 week program.
Housing is available in a university dormitory, but the cost of housing is not covered by the program.
- Sophomores, juniors and seniors or rising sophomores, juniors and seniors
- GPA 3.0 or higher
- Must have taken college biology, chemistry and/or biochemistry
- Must have participated in laboratory research previously
- Letter of recommendation from a biology or chemistry course director/instructor
- US citizens, permanent residents and international students will be considered
All materials must be received by February 1. Within three weeks after the application deadline invitations to participate in The Vanderbilt Vaccine Center are sent to the selected qualified applicants. Students must reply with their decision to participate and will be sent a list of possible mentors/research laboratories from which to select their top three choices. In the event an applicant declines the invitation to participate in the program the offer is made to the next most highly qualified applicant.
- Complete the online application.
- Upload unofficial transcript online.
- Have two letters of recommendation submitted online.
- Questions regarding eligibility and applications can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Online application deadline is February 1, 2019. Start the application through the Vanderbilt Summer Science Academy.
- Alex Bunnell
- VVC Summer Program Manager