Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

The BRET Office appoints research interns and observers in the Vanderbilt University School of Medicine Basic Sciences laboratories. 

Please reach out directly to the department. The BRET Office does not place students in research experiences.

A list of departments can be found on the Vanderbilt University Basic Sciences website.

If your research intern or observer is 18 or older, they will need a background check to be appointed. You can fill out the HR Background Check form to initiate the background check.

There are two Learning Exchange modules that pertain to Protection of Minors. The first is the Protection of Minors 101. All faculty, staff, postdoctoral fellows and students that will come into contact with a minor must take Protection of Minors 101.

After completing the Protection of Minors 101 module, to stay in compliance, faculty, staff, postdoctoral fellows and students will need to complete the Protection of Minors Annual Training module.

Generally, minors are appointed as unpaid student observers. Please reach out to Aaron Howard,, if you are interested in paying a minor.

Please reach out to to appoint a student observer or research intern in a VUMC lab.

The Vanderbilt Observational Experience in Vanderbilt University Medical Center places students in observational positions in a clinical setting.