The Vanderbilt MPH Program values diversity in our students, faculty, and staff. We believe that having a diverse learning community enhances the experience for all learners and results in better outcomes for public health.
The Vanderbilt MPH Program’s Diversity Committee is made up of program faculty, students, alumni, and School of Medicine leadership. It provides guidance on strategies to recruit a diverse population of students, faculty and staff, and ways to enhance course offerings to ensure students consider issues of health disparities in the context of their learning.
We believe that students benefit from a community of mentors that can address all of their needs. We work with all students on an individual basis to identify faculty with diverse perspectives and experiences to serve on their mentoring committees.
We partner with the VUMC Office of Graduate Medical Education to recruit a diverse student body.
The David Satcher Public Health Scholars Program provides students from under-represented backgrounds with tuition support and the opportunity to conduct research at the Satcher Health Leadership Institute.
Every fall, the David Satcher Lecture Series brings a leader in the field of public health to Vanderbilt University to present a campus-wide talk on health disparities and to meet with MPH students and delve more deeply into issues surrounding preventable differences in the burden of disease, injury, violence, or opportunities experienced by disadvantaged populations. Previous speakers include:
- 2022 David Williams, Ph.D., M.Div., M.P.H.
- 2021 Mona Hanna-Attisha, M.D., M.P.H.
- 2019 David Satcher, M.D., Ph.D.
- 2018 Selwyn O. Rogers, Jr., M.D., M.P.H.
- 2017 Hannah Valantine, M.D.
- 2016 Camara P. Jones, M.D., Ph.D., M.P.H.
- 2015 Neil R. Powe, M.D., M.P.H., MBA
- 2014 Donald R. Hopkins, M.D., M.P.H.
- 2013 Ana E. Núñez, M.D.
- 2012 Herman A. Taylor, Jr., M.D., M.P.H.
- 2011 Michelle D. Holmes, M.D., M.P.H., Dr.P.H.
- 2010 Deborah Prothrow-Stith, M.D.
- 2009 David Satcher, M.D., Ph.D.