Qualifications and Admissions Criteria
Applicants should have an undergraduate Bachelor’s degree in a basic, applied, biological, physical, computer, or social-behavioral sciences from an accredited university. Mathematical aptitude and basic programming skills are highly encouraged. Our own experiences confirm that students with backgrounds in physics, chemistry or engineering are successful as imaging scientists after appropriate training.
Applications must be submitted online, with the following requirements:
- Complete the online application for Vanderbilt University, selecting the following options:
- Area of Study: Medicine-Non MD
- Program: Master of Imaging Science
- Degree: MIS
- Documentation of completed undergraduate degree, and transcripts showing a minimum final GPA of 3.0
- Statement of intended course of study (i.e., full-time or part-time enrollment)
- Statement of Purpose, including connection to any research experience (1-page limit)
- In cases where the background in math or computing is not clear from the transcript, applicants should clarify what education they have had in calculus, vector or linear algebra and other topics in math and/or computing within the Statement of Purpose.
- Letters of Recommendation (two minimum)
- General Graduate Record Examination (GRE) or Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) scores are recommended, but not required.
- TOEFL/IELTS scores less than 2 years old are required for applicants whose native language is not English (requirement is waived for students who have completed one year of full-time study with a minimum GPA of 3.0 in an accredited university in the United States). Non-native speakers must demonstrate English proficiency with minimum scores:
- Paper based TOEFL: 550
- Computer based TOEFL: 213
- Internet based TOEFL iBT: 80
- IELTS: 7
- Official GRE / TOEFL / IELTS Scores should be sent to Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, institution code 1871 (department code is not required)
International students interested in applying should contact the program about the current eligibility requirements. Permanent residents (green card holders) are eligible.
- Aug. 1 – Application Cycle Starts
- Feb. 15 – Early Application Deadline
- April 30 – Final Application Deadline
Questions about the application process? Contact email@example.com.