Living in Nashville
Do you want to go to one of the best graduate schools in the country but live in a city where you can also enjoy your life outside of lab? Do you want to be able to afford it as a graduate student? Come to Vanderbilt in Nashville, TN!
Nashville is a growing city booming with culture. There is so much to do, from hiking in nearby mountains, to watching pro sporting events, to hearing amazing free music, to eating some of the best food in the country! “Music City” is so much more than just country. You won’t believe all of the awesome opportunities you’ll get to experience in one of the coolest cities to live.
Here are some more reasons that draw so many people to Music City.
- Music: We’re called Music City for a reason. With so many live music venues in town and several festivals (e.g. CMAFest, Bonnaroo), Nashville attracts musical talent from across the country at all times of the year. Be sure to also check out the Nashville Symphony.
- Parks: It can be easy to forget you are in an urban setting with the number of green spaces, parks, and trails within striking distance. For those who like to get away and enjoy nature, Nashville has countless options to choose from, ranging from Centennial Park (with a full-scale Parthenon replica) to Radnor Lake to Cheekwood Botanical Gardens.
- Restaurants: With cuisine ranging from Caribbean to kosher, there is no shortage of options, but be sure to try Nashville’s world-famous “hot chicken.”
- Sports: Enjoy a good sports scene with the Tennessee Titans (NFL) and the Nashville Predators (NHL) located here. Also, catch some triple-A baseball at First Tennessee Park, home to the Nashville Sounds.
- Travel: Nashville is accessible to so many other cities. The airport and other transportation options keep New York, Chicago, Atlanta, and many other cities just a quick trip away.
- Weather: We enjoy four distinct seasons, but it’s unlikely you’ll have to tromp around in four feet of snow any time soon.
- Diverse Neighborhoods: Nashville is made of several, unique neighborhoods, allowing you to pick the area that suits your lifestyle.
Still want more information?
Want to learn more? Nashville has everything you could want in a city. We encourage you to look at these additional websites and do your own exploring!
- Things to do in Nashville
- Metro Nashville government
- Nashville Convention and Visitors Bureau
- Nashville Chamber of Commerce
- BlueShoe Nashville Travel Guide
- Now Playing Nashville
- The Tennessean (daily newspaper)
- The Nashville Scene (weekly newspaper)
- Visit Music City
- WPLN (Nashville Public Radio)
- WRVU (Vanderbilt student-operated radio station)
- WNPT (Nashville Public Television)