Vanderbilt basic science alum Q&A: Randy Perera

Randy PereraThe School of Medicine Basic Sciences has seen remarkable and diverse trainees come through its doors, collaborate and learn from distinguished faculty, then graduate from one of our nationally ranked departments. But where are they now?

They go on to become leaders in basic science fields at notable institutions, universities, governmental entities, and research and development companies. Some of the places our alums have gone on to work at are U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, Pfizer Inc., Food and Drug Administration, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, to name but a few. And some even decide to stay at Vanderbilt!

Meet Randika “Randy” Perera, Fellow’24, who worked in the lab of Walter Chazin and is now a scientist at the pharmaceutical and biotech company MilliporeSigma. His work is focused on antibody drug conjugate-based drugs as a targeted therapy for treating cancer.

We sat down with Perera to discuss his experiences studying basic science and how it played a role in his successful career.

What activities at Vanderbilt had the most significant impact on your career path?

The ASPIRE program profoundly shaped my professional growth by offering a rich array of resources and opportunities, such as career workshops, mentorship, and networking events. The ASPIRE on the Road trips, especially, were transformative, allowing me to explore various industries, connect with professionals, and gain valuable insights into different career paths. The program’s emphasis on real-world applications and career readiness equipped me with the skills and knowledge necessary to navigate my career journey effectively.

My ASPIRE on the Road experience in St. Louis was truly instrumental for my career. The program provided an incredible opportunity to explore the vibrant biotech and pharmaceutical landscape of the city. During the trip we took in October 2023, we visited several cutting-edge companies and research institutions, including MilliporeSigma, which allowed us to gain valuable insights into industry practices and network with industry experts.

Additionally, my involvement in the Wond’ry, Vanderbilt’s Innovation Center, particularly with the Sullivan Family Ideator Program, was pivotal. It taught me how to translate scientific knowledge into viable business ideas and consider the broader impact of commercializing academic research. This experience provided invaluable insights into the business aspects of science and prepared me for the dynamic world of pharmaceutical industry.

One of the greatest strengths of Vanderbilt is its ability to bring together like-minded, goal-oriented individuals who fostered my confidence and enabled me to achieve more than I had imagined.

Tell us more about your ASPIRE on the Road trip to St. Louis!

One of the highlights of the trip was the Q&A sessions, where we had the opportunity to connect with industry professionals. During MilliporeSigma’s Q&A, one of the panelists mentioned that, when preparing a resume, we should not only focus on our career achievements but also highlight how our experiences align with the job requirements and the company’s needs. This was a great eye-opener for me and greatly influenced how I prepared my resume.

During my interview process with MilliporeSigma, I was able to mention that I had visited one of their sites and named the panelists I had spoken with. This led to an engaging conversation about the different MilliporeSigma sites in St. Louis, and eventually resulted in a job offer.

The ASPIRE on the Road trip not only expanded my professional network but also showcased the importance of seizing opportunities and being proactive in career development. It was a remarkable experience that significantly influenced my career trajectory.

Were there any specific mentors or professors who played a crucial role in shaping your career aspirations?

Walter Chazin, who was my postdoc advisor, was one of the best mentors I have encountered during my career. When I first joined his lab, I mentioned my aspiration to join the biotech or pharmaceutical industries after my postdoc period. Drawing from his extensive experience, he helped me curate my career and personal development goals to enhance my competitiveness for industry positions. He was approachable and available, creating a comfortable environment for me to seek advice and ask questions.

Dr. Chazin provided me and my peers with honest, constructive feedback. He pointed out areas for improvement in a supportive manner, aimed at fostering both professional and personal development. His strong work ethic greatly influenced me, instilling a sense of dedication and discipline that has been invaluable in my career. He had a strong professional network and was generous in sharing connections, resources, and opportunities with me. Most importantly, he was empathetic to my challenges and perspectives, always encouraging me to see the bigger picture.

The other mentor who had a significant impact on my career was Andy Weiss, who was a postdoctoral scholar in Eric Skaar’s lab at the time. Andy was my first collaborator, and we worked closely together on several research projects, producing high-quality science. He was instrumental in guiding me through the transition from academia to industry. Andy generously shared his experiences and insights, demystifying the process and helping me understand what to expect in the industry. His support extended beyond professional advice as he was also a great source of personal encouragement, reminding me to stay resilient and focused on my goals.

Were there any unexpected twists or turns in your career journey?

While my career journey hasn’t been marked by major twists and turns, my research training has equipped me with resilience and perseverance. Joining Dr. Chazin’s lab as a nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopist, I encountered the challenge of quickly mastering X-ray crystallography—a significant undertaking for me. The rigorous nature of biomedical research taught me to embrace setbacks as opportunities for growth and learning. It pushed me to tackle challenges with a proactive, positive attitude, always looking for innovative solutions and using my scientific expertise to get past obstacles.

Can you share a pivotal moment or decision in your career?

Taking part in the ASPIRE on the Road program played a pivotal role in my career because I was at a crossroads at that time, debating whether to stay in academia or transition to industry. I hadn’t visited any pharmaceutical companies before, so I wanted to get some firsthand experience before making my decision. Seeing the high-tech pharmaceutical companies and getting a glimpse of their culture by connecting with their employees gave me the perspective I needed. It confirmed my goal to join the industry, and from then on, I’ve never looked back.

How has the interdisciplinary nature of biomedical research training played a role in your ability to collaborate with professionals from different fields in your career?

During my time at Vanderbilt, I collaborated with research groups both within and outside the university, an experience that was invaluable in equipping me with skills to navigate diverse perspectives and manage conflict resolution, communicate effectively, and build strong relationships—skills crucial in the collaborative environment of the pharmaceutical industry.

Working with interdisciplinary teams and on complex research projects honed my problem-solving skills and adaptability. This experience proved invaluable during the interview process, where I could provide real-life examples of how I tackled challenges and contributed to successful outcomes in a collaborative environment.

Looking back, is there any advice you would give to yourself or current biomedical science students based on your own experiences and the lessons you have learned in your career?

Don’t hesitate to explore diverse opportunities and keep learning, even if they take you out of your comfort zone. The field of biomedical science is rapidly evolving, and ongoing learning is essential to stay current and competitive. Even if some techniques or instruments are not directly related to your research, still try to become familiar with them. Vanderbilt has great resources for biomedical students. Each experience, whether successful or challenging, contributes to your growth and broadens your perspective.

Maintain good relationships with your peers and don’t be afraid to ask questions. Networking opens doors to collaboration, mentorship, and potential career opportunities. Since we are in the biomedical field, it is important to stay resilient. Some days, you might not obtain the results you want, or the experiments may fail, but view these as opportunities to learn, adapt, and grow stronger. Finally, celebrate your successes, acknowledge your achievements and hard work, both big and small. Try a new restaurant in downtown Nashville or go watch a football game on Sunday with your friends. Taking care of your physical and mental well-being enhances productivity, boosts confidence, and motivates you for your future endeavors.