Basic Sciences Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Initiatives
• “Celebrate Immigrants” video profiles honor our community’s unique immigrant experiences.
• Culturally aware mentoring (CAM) workshops. 106 faculty trained (sample workshop overview).
• Discovery Science Emerging Scholars seminar series.
• Faculty workshops to craft mentoring and diversity statements. Approx. 116 faculty attended.
Statements are available to TG directors.
• Lou DeFelice travel awards for faculty to accompany summer undergraduate student to SACNAS
or ABRCMS and help us with diversity recruiting for IGP/QCB.
• Fair Play video game workshop.
• Gender issues: Hosted Frazier Benza to present briefing on the NAS report on gender and
sexual harassment in STEM.
• Hosted faculty training sessions on Responding to and Reporting Gender and Sexual Harassment
at Vanderbilt presented by VU Project Safe, Title IX and EEO.
• Held listening sessions for PhD students to address the power differential between faculty
mentors and trainees.
• From above, Kathy Gould and Linda Sealy created the auxiliary mentors resource.
• Created a Climate, Culture and Career Plans survey for graduate students. View survey description and results.
• Bystander training for PhD students and postdocs.
Download this spreadsheet, which contains information and links including Activities, Vanderbilt Student Engagement Opportunities, Ally Resources and more – recommended by Dr. Andre Churchwell, Vice chancellor for Equity, Diversity and Inclusion and Chief Diversity Officer for Vanderbilt University.
WE ARE THE ONES WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR: RESOURCES FOR FACULTY ENGAGEMENT ON SYSTEMIC RACISM AND INJUSTICE
What Comes Next? Simple Practices to Improve Diversity in Science, by Steven Townsend
White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack
Making all Black Lives Matter – Barbara Ransby
The History of White People – Nell Painter
The Fire Next Time – James Baldwin
How to be an Antiracist – Ibram X. Kendi
So You Want to Talk about Race – Ijeoma Oluo
White Fragility – Robin DiAngelo
The New Jim Crow – Michelle Alexander
Racism without Racists – Edurardo Bonilla-Silva
Just Mercy – Bryan Stevenson
The Color of Law – Richard Rothstein
Me and White Supremacy – Layla Saad
Between the World and Me – Ta-Nehisi Coates
The Possessive Investment in Whiteness: How White People Profit from Identity Politics – George Lipsitz
13th – Netflix
Race Forward – What is Systemic Racism?
Avoiding Racial Equity Detours – Paul Gorski
Inside Higher Ed – Evidence-Based Action is Required
Inside Higher Ed – Channel Outrage and Disillusionment into Action
Inside Higher Ed – Making Sense of the Senseless
Inside Higher Ed – A Call to Action
Teaching Tolerance – How Can We Build Anti-Racist White Educators?
Colours of Us – 37 Children’s Books to help talk about Racism & Discrimination
National Center for Faculty Development & Diversity (Vanderbilt University Access)
Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (Vanderbilt University Access)
EAB (Vanderbilt University Access)
National Museum of African American History & Culture – Talking About Race
RECOMMENDED FROM JUNE 5TH FACULTY SESSION
RECOMMENDED FROM JUNE 9TH FACULTY SESSION
Harvard Business Review – 10 Commitments Companies Must Make to Advance Racial Justice
Deloitte/Wall Street Journal – 6 Characteristics of Inclusive Leaders