- Five Vanderbilt University faculty members have been elected fellows of the American Association for the Advancement of Science this year, including our own Andrea Page-McCaw, associate professor of cell and developmental biology in the School of Medicine, for distinguished contributions to the field of extracellular biology, particularly the functions of matrix metalloproteinases in Drosophila.
- Andrea Page McCaw is a new ASMB (American Society for Matrix Biology) Council Member.
- Sierra Palumbos, Neuroscience graduate student in the Miller lab, was awarded an AHA predoctoral fellowship.
- Merlyn Emmanuel, a post doctoral fellow in Prof. Alissa Weaver’s lab received an AHA Post Doctoral Fellowship
- Graduate student James O’Connor (Page McCaw Lab) won an AHA predoctoral fellowship
- Graduate student Veronica Farmer (Zanic Lab) won an AHA predoctoral fellowship.
- Cell Dynamics Symposium Excellence in Cell Dynamics winners are: Student – Chloe Snider, Gould Lab; Post Doc – Mukhtar Ahmed, Macara Lab. Both Chloe and Dr. Ahmed presented talks at the symposium, received a cash award and enjoyed dinner with the speakers.
- Congratulations to CDB Student of the Year: Meredith Weck, Tyska Lab & CDB Post Doc of the Year: Stellor Niandu-Khodo, Gewin Lab
- Chloe Snider (Ph.D. Candidate Gould Lab) was named VICC graduate student of the year.
- CDB Takes the #3 Spot in Cell Biology Funding for 2017. Vanderbilt Department of Cell & Developmental Biology ranked third out of 76 among US medical schools in “Anatomy/Cell Biology” NIH funding, according to the Blue Ridge Institute for Medical Research.
Upcoming Dissertation Defenses
- Gokhan Unlu (Knapik Lab), February 13th at 1 pm in 3131 MRB III
- Matt Tyska, “Brush border protocadherin CDHR2 promotes the elongation and maximized packing of microvilli in vivo. Mol Biol Cell, Nov 7, 2018
- Ken Lau, “Unsupervised Trajectory Analysis of Single-Cell RNA-Seq and Imaging Data Reveals Alternative Tuft Cell Origins in the Gut,” Cell Systems, January 24, 2018 Cover Art
- Marija Zanic, “Human CLASP2 specifically regulates microtubule catastrophe and rescue,” Molecular Biology of the Cell, May 15, 2018 Cover Art
New Grants Fund Discovery in CDB
- Anne R. Meyer, (Graduate Student, Goldenring Lab), Kirschstein-NRSA predoctoral fellowship (F31) award.
- Andrea Page McCaw, Ph.D., PI and Shane Hutson, Ph.D. is MPI. Were awarded and RO1 Title: “Cellular Integration of Information in the Detection and Response to Epithelial Damage”
- Vivian Gama, Ph.D. Received an R35/MIRA award “The BCL-2 family controls stem cell identity by regulating mitochondrial dynamics and priming”.
- Ken Lau, Ph.D., and Jeremy Goettel, Ph.D. received a VI4/VICC jointly-funded research program for: “Microbiome-tuft cell axis in regulating a Treg response in the gut”
- Vivian Gama, Single Cell TIPs Grant, Vanderbilt University, “Assessing the contribution of mitochondrial heterogeneity to gliomagenesis using single cell approaches”
- Alissa Guarnaccia (PhD Candidate Tansey Lab) F31 NRSA (F31 NRSA from the National Cancer Institute, F31 CA225065, “Investigating MYC and WDR5 chromatin interactions in cancer.”)
- Shwetha Narasimhan (PhD Candidate Kaverina Lab) AHA Fellowship
Nikon Center of Excellence
Learn more about the Nikon Center of Excellence The NCoE offers training courses, including basic and advanced light microscopy techniques, quantitative image analysis, and workshops on Nikon software: Please Click Here to register.