Reflections from the Outgoing Student Advisory Committee (SAC) Chair

Posted by on Monday, July 29, 2024 in MSTP Workshop News .

by Sarah Reed (G4)

My tenure as Chair of the Student Advisory Committee (SAC) has come to a close, giving me an opportunity to reflect on the many efforts of our students and leadership team over the past year. In my time as Chair and Chair-Elect, I have grown to see SAC’s most important roles as facilitating MSTP initiatives and advocating for students across all aspects of our program. I am grateful for the willingness of our students and faculty to continually show up, provide feedback, and dedicate time to making the MSTP a strong training program that is welcoming and fun. This extends from the class reps that attend monthly meetings to the student committee leaders that oversee much of our programming to the Leadership Team that endeavors to consider and respond to all suggestions.

Building on progress from previous years, I am proud that the variety of SAC initiatives and accomplishments reflects a diversity of needs in our community across our time in training. These include:

• Promoting closer interaction between the Vanderbilt Graduate Student Council (GSC) and MSTP though the election of a dedicated GSC rep (Reilly Fankhauser, G2) who attends monthly GSC meetings to represent MSTP interests
  • Coordinating support for students submitting F30s and other fellowships (spearheaded by Mock Study Section, Wellness Committee, and LT member Leigh Ann Gardner)
  • Increasing the meal budget for class and family (big-little) events
  • Fostering a process for all committees to incorporate ADI initiatives into their regular programming
  • Exploring ways to support trainees who are parents
  • Refining resources and events that support students through both medical and graduate school (e.g. efforts to help students choose a lab, clarifying the roles of portfolio coaches, etc)

This academic year, Drew Kittleson (G3) will serve as SAC Chair. He will be joined by Mark Petrovic (G2) as SAC Chair-Elect. I am excited to have the leadership and vision that Drew and Mark will provide for our program. They have both demonstrated clear passion and commitment to our program. I am equally enthusiastic to see all our students continue to give us feedback and take on active roles the MSTP community.

Sarah
Outgoing MSTP SAC Chair