Vanderbilt Pathways Award
ABOUT THE Pathways Award
Who is eligible?
Undergraduate students that will begin their senior year in 2024 and are interested in applying to graduate school in the field of communication sciences and disorders with:
- under-represented identities or perspectives
- a strong commitment to enhance care for the individuals we serve across a broad range of diverse backgrounds and identities, including race, ethnicity, gender, sexuality, nationality, disability, and differences, among others
Awardees will receive:
- Financial support to take the Kaplan GRE On-Demand Preparation Course
- Shadowing opportunities in the Vanderbilt Bill Wilkerson Center
- Opportunity to meet and discuss the application process for graduate schools with one of our faculty (e.g., how to focus one’s statement, who to have write letters of recommendation, etc.)
Applicants should submit her/his/their current resume and description of their academic background and motivation/interest in the field of communication sciences and disorders (1-page) via email to Robin Jones (firstname.lastname@example.org). Application materials are due by April 12th, 2024. Announcement of the awardee will occur on or before April 30th, 2024.
2023 Pathways Award Recipient
Congratulations to Jaya Robinson on winning the 2023 Rising Star Award!
I am Jaya Robinson, a graduating senior at Tennessee State University! As a student at a Historically Black College and University, I have promoted positive attributes regarding academia, community service, and leadership at my institution and in my community. I am studying Health Sciences with a concentration in Communication Sciences and Disorders. At my institution, I am a member of the National Black Association of Speech-Language and Hearing. My main interest in Speech-Language Pathology is working with children on the autism spectrum. Due to this population being heterogeneous, it motivates me to learn more information, approaches, and therapy methods that I can construct to each child’s strengths and weaknesses. I would like to enhance patient care, and communication abilities that can improve quality of life.