Meet the Goodpasture PSTP Associate College Advisors: Dr. David Meoli and Dr. Niki Winters (Vanderbilt MSTP ’15)

Posted by on Monday, January 30, 2017 in Alumni, MSTP Workshop News .

Get to know a little bit more about the Goodpasture PSTP Associate College Advisors!

by Rachel Brown (M2)

David Meoli.JPG

David Meoli, M.D., Ph.D.

What residency/fellowship program and year are you in?
I am PGY 6 in cardiology. I have completed two years of Internal Medicine residency and two years of Cardiology clinical fellowship. I am currently in my second year of research.

How did you first become interested in research?
I started working in a Cardiology research lab during college and enjoyed it so much that I spent two years there between college and medical school.

Where did you go to medical school, and what brought you to Vanderbilt?
I graduated from the MSTP at the University of Rochester. I came to Vanderbilt for its excellent clinical training, research opportunities, and career support in the Harrison Society, combined with Nashville’s reasonable cost of living.

What are your ultimate career goals?
My goal is to become an independently funded investigator studying basic mechanisms of pulmonary vascular disease in left heart failure and clinically practicing Cardiology.

What advice do you have for current MSTPs?
Continuously be mindful of pursuing what is interesting and satisfying to you; it can be easy to board the medical school/graduate school/residency/fellowship train without ever doing that.

What is one “fun fact” about yourself?
My hobbies include jumping on the trampoline and playing Legos (with my five- and three-year-olds).

Niki Winters.jpg

Niki Winters, M.D., Ph.D.

I am a 2nd year resident in Internal Medicine. I will be a Pulmonary and Critical Care fellow next year.

I am a Vandy MSTP grad. I came to Vanderbilt because the research was great and the people were even better.

What are your ultimate career goals?
I would like to have a basic science research lab and study the pathogenesis of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis as well as take care of patients in some kind of split.

Find a great mentor.

What is one “fun fact” about yourself?
I love triathlons!