Welcome from your SLW hosts!

Posted by on Tuesday, March 13, 2018 in Life in the MSTP .

Congratulations on being accepted to the Vandy MSTP! The application cycle year is long, difficult, and anxiety-provoking. But now is the time to sit back and enjoy your visit because you’re now on the road to becoming physician-scientists! We are all looking forward to your visit to Nashville over Second Look Weekend, and you have very excited hosts who will help you navigate your visit:

Hi my name is Mobolanle Adebesin. I am from Burtonsville, Maryland and attended the University of Maryland Baltimore County for undergrad where I majored in Biological Sciences. I spent 1 year working at Johns Hopkins University in the Department of Neuroscience where I studied the development of neural progenitor cells in the hypothalamus. I chose Vanderbilt because of the small city feel, the collegiate atmosphere, and the supportive nature of the administration. If you have any questions, please feel free to email me at Mobolanle.o.adebesin@Vanderbilt.edu. I look forward to meeting you all and re-introducing you to what Nashville and Vanderbilt has to offer!

Hey guys, my name is Alissa Cutrone. I’m originally from Long Island, NY (no, don’t argue with me about pizza or bagels). I then went to Northeastern University in Boston and completed my Bachelor’s in biology (Bostonia is a magical place). My research interests are in stem cell biology and embryology, so chat me up about anything developmental! Vandy was an easy choice for me; it’s a really nice change of pace to meet actual friendly people on the street. Southern hospitality is real despite my previous skepticism, especially with the amazing leadership and colleagues you’ll work with in the MSTP. You can reach me at: alissa.m.cutrone@vanderbilt.edu. We can’t wait to show you how much fun Nashville can be!

Hey everyone, my name is Nick Petersen. I was born in Brazil but grew up in South Florida before attending undergrad at Cornell University where I majored in biology and minored in fine arts. After graduation, I worked for two years in a molecular neurosurgery lab at Weill Cornell in NYC studying the use of MRI-guided focused ultrasound for non-invasive gene delivery to the brain. I plan to continue research in neuroscience here at Vanderbilt. I felt that Vanderbilt was the best choice for me because of the strong sense of community, outstanding research opportunities and commitment to student wellness as well as being within an awesome city. Feel free to contact me with any questions at nicholas.petersen@vanderbilt.edu. I’m excited to meet you all!

We look forward to welcoming you to the Vandy campus and Nashville!