Thoughts on the Vanderbilt MSTP Curriculum

Posted by on Thursday, March 15, 2018 in Life in the MSTP, MSTP Workshop News .

You can refresh your memory on the Vanderbilt MSTP curriculum here. Below are some comments from current students about the advantages of Curriculum 2.0 for Vanderbilt MSTP students. Bring any questions you may have with you to Second Look.

"Curriculum 2.0 is actually one of the things that drew me to Vanderbilt. I liked that Vanderbilt recognized that as medicine keeps changing, so should medical education. Now that I've experienced it, I think this curriculum is structured nicely for MSTP students, since it gives us clinical exposure that helps inform our graduate experiences and also allows us more flexibility in the timing of rejoining the medical school. Plus, one less year of required training is a nice perk!"
– Tory Martucci, G2

"Being on the wards full time during my second year of medical school is one of the best features of Curriculum 2.0. The knowledge I gained from my classes during the first year is an important foundation. Still, bringing together basic science knowledge, clinical medicine, and critical thinking to commit to a diagnosis and formulate a treatment plan is one of the most exciting facets of practicing medicine. Furthermore, having this clinical exposure before starting my graduate school training has inspired several of my scientific pursuits. At the end of this year, what I will remember the most are my patients who I got to take care of, especially those for whom medical treatment was limited. I am grateful for the opportunity to learn from my patients at such an early stage in my career."
-Abin Abraham, G1

"Through curriculum 2.0 we see concepts and details in the classroom, we discuss them in small groups, and then we reinforce them by interacting with patients. From almost the first week of classes — it’s either the second or the third — we participate in a weekly continuity clinical experience where we get to practice what we have learned with actual patients, during our first year. Yes, the first few months were uncomfortable and we still don’t entirely know what we are doing, but by working through our awkwardness we get better at interacting with patients. We also learn to integrate and synthesize our medical knowledge, all with the help of faculty in the classroom and in the clinic who are devoted to turning us into well-rounded physicians!"
– Daniel Sack, M2