MSTPets: Part 8

Posted by on Saturday, April 21, 2018 in Life in the MSTP .

Here’s an ode to our furry (or not so furry) friends who have helped us study for anatomy practicals, kept us company while we wrote our papers and thesis dissertations, and welcomed us home after a long shift on surgery.

MSTPet: Copernicus
Age: 5 years old
​MSTParents: Pedro Teixeira (M4) and Carolyn Teixeira
Dissertation: “A Computational Analysis of Treat Dissemination vs. Rate of Acrobatic Movements in Response To Auditory Signals”
Fun Fact 1: Copernicus weighs only 5 pounds but thinks he’s a giant wolf. He’s wrong, but we can’t seem to convince him otherwise.
Fun Fact 2: Copernicus has his own Twitter account.

MSTPet: Anya
Age: 1 year old
MSTParents: Rachel Brown (G1) and Matt Stier (M3)
Recent Publication:Practice Bulletin: Treatment of feline giardiasis”
Fun Fact 1: Anya adopted us when she showed up at our door and meowed at us until we gave her some of Spike’s Fancy Feast.
Fun Fact 2: Anya hissed at Spike whenever he came near her for a week until she realized he is a fluffy ball of love. They are now best friends.

MSTPet: Joie Bernadette, aka Bernie
Age: 4 years old
MSTParents: Dr. Kim Rathmell (Avery-Cohen College Advisor) and Dr. Jeff Rathmell
Breed: Bernese Mountain Dog
Studies: Cookies and cheese
Fun fact: I was born in France, so by law my name must start with J. I have been to the top of the Jungfrau in Switzerland, and I maintain the isolationist pose of my people.

MSTPet: Princess Dave
Age: 6 years old
MSTParents: Dr. Jeff Rathmell
Breed: German Shepherd, Great Dane, Staffordshire Terrier
Science focus: Immunology
Fun fact: I donated my own torsed spleen to science, but my master wasn’t home so my cancer-obsessed mother tossed it out once there wasn’t any sign of cancer.

MSTPet: Cleo
Age: 9 months old
MSTParent: Bola Adebesin (M1)
Field of Study: Biomechanics – she is fascinated by the shock absorption required to successfully jump off of counters and bookshelves and can often be found contemplating these questions and testing out her hypotheses in the middle of the night.
Fun Fact: Cleo is super friendly to the point that strangers are surprised at how quickly she will hop into their laps looking for treats and cuddles. She enjoys long naps and hiding in high places.

MSTPets: Freja & Maude (Irish Wolfhounds)
Age: 13 weeks old
​MSTParents: Graham (M1), Leah, Ollie & Moby Johnson
Field of Study: They are interested in dog food quality initiatives, but are too lazy to do anything about it.
Fun Fact: They get big. Real big. On the right is a picture of their mother (the dog, not the woman)…