ASPIRE to Innovate Postdoctoral Fellowship Program
The ASPIRE to Innovate Postdoctoral Fellowship program has two primary objectives: 1) To enable the commercialization of technologies discovered at Vanderbilt University and 2) To provide a biomedical Ph.D. scientist with a structured training opportunity to learn how to transform a technology into a company.
A biomedical sciences postdoc will be hired to launch a successful start-up leveraging intellectual property of Vanderbilt University. Fellows will work full-time to develop a commercialization strategy on a particular technology while immersing themselves in the local bioscience entrepreneurial ecosystem. The fellow also will assist in organizing and hosting the Enabling Innovation Initiative (eI2) seminar series in collaboration with the Dean’s office and BRET Office of Career Development in order to network with local innovators. The program will provide extensive mentorship, supplemental training, and networking opportunities to give the fellow the tools to transition from academic researcher to entrepreneur.
The ASPIRE to Innovate Fellow will be supervised by the Associate Dean for Research, the Senior Associate Dean for Biomedical Research, Education and Career Development, a member of Vanderbilt’s Center for Technology Transfer and Commercialization (CTTC), and the PI of the technology chosen for the pilot program.
The selected individual will be appointed as postdoctoral fellow within the BRET office and provided with a salary and benefits. Appointment will be for an initial year and extendable to a second and final year, provided satisfactory progress towards commercialization objectives has been made. Fellows may have the opportunity to become a co-founder in the new venture. They also will have access to the principal investigator and lab where the intellectual property was developed and will be provided office space.
2023 Postdoctoral Fellowship Program
- Current biomedical sciences Ph.D. graduate students and postdocs affiliated within the School of Medicine/Basic Sciences (or VUMC postdocs)
- Available to start in full-time postdoctoral position on July 1, 2023
Ideal candidates will:
- Have taken the ASPIRE module(s), Management and Business Principles for Scientists and/or Technology Commercialization
- Have demonstrated an interest in entrepreneurship and technology commercialization through past attendance or participation in any number of related programs such as the Life Science TN/BioTN Tech Venture/SciPreneur Challenge, Enabling Innovation Initiative (ei2) seminars, Wond’ry programming, relevant ASPIRE Ph.D. Career Stories seminars, ASPIRE/other Internships, or other relevant programs
- Exhibit strong ability to work independently, be proactive, and energetic
- Demonstrate a willingness to learn and be coachable, and possess an entrepreneurial mindset
How to Apply:
- Complete SurveyMonkey application: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/ASPIREInnovationFellowsapp2023
- Upload to SurveyMonkey application a 1-page Personal Statement explaining your motivation for applying for this program, how your expertise will add value and what past experiences have prepared you to excel in this role
- Upload to SurveyMonkey application a 1-3 page Resume
Deadline to apply:
midnight, Monday, March 27th, 2023
Notification: selected participant will be notified in the end of April 2023
Start Date: July 1, 2023
Questions should be directed to: Ashley.email@example.com
The ASPIRE to Innovate Postdoctoral Fellowship Program has been made possible through a partnership between the Vanderbilt School of Medicine Basic Sciences, Vanderbilt’s Center for Technology Transfer and Commercialization and The Wond’ry.