There is no easy formula to create the perfect CV, resume, or cover letter. Fortunately, the articles below can assist you in building these documents, and we encourage you to have your CV, resume, or cover letter reviewed at our weekly drop-in clinic.
The Guide to Resumes and Curricula Vitae by the NIH OITE is a great resource for all CV and resume needs.
- How to Write a Winning Résumé by Peter Fiske for ScienceCareers.org
- 3 Secrets to a Powerful Resume Summary by Laura Smith-Proulx for BioSpace
- 5 Great Resume Objective Statements by Jessica Holbrook Hernandez for BioSpace
- Job Seekers: Have You Wordle’d Your Resume? By Katharine Brooks for Psychology Today
- 7 Overused Resume Phrases to Avoid by Laura Smith-Proulx for BioSpace
- How to Make Your Resume Look More Attractive to the Employer by Jessica Holbrook Hernandez for BioSpace
- A Tool Kit of Transferable Skills for Postdocs by Phil Dee for ScienceCareers.org
- What Is a Resumé Hole and How Do I Fill It? Part I by Adrienne Kitts for ScienceCareers.org
- What Is a Résumé Hole and How Do I Fill It? Part 2 by Adrienne Kitts for ScienceCareers.org
- Tips for a Successful CV by Sarah Webb for Sciencecareers.org
- The Basics of Science CV’s: A Sample Research CV for The Chronicle of Higher Education
- The Rhetoric of the CV by Joshua Eyler for The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Tooling Up: Focus Your Industry CV by David Jensen for ScienceCareers.org
- CVs That Open Industry Doors by Dave Jensen for ScienceCareers.org
- Notes from a Recruiter's Diary: A Plethora of C.V.s by Dave Jensen for ScienceCareers.org
- Guide to Cover Letters by the Office of Intramural Training and Education, OITE NIH
- The Basics of Cover Letter Writing by Rick M. Reis for The Chronicle of Higher Education
- That Crucial First Impression by Rob Jenkins for The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Tooling up: Clear and Succinct Rules the Day by David Jensen for ScienceCareers.org
- Eight Tips for Better Email Cover Letters by Larry Buhl for Monster.com
- Catch Their Eye with a Captivating Cover Letter by Alison Hart for usatoday.com
- Master the Art of the Cover Letter by Bruce Tulgan for usatoday.com
- The Cover Letters That Make Hiring Managers Smile (Then Call You) by Jenny Foss for The Daily Muse
- Preparing for Next Year's Job Market from the Chronicle of Higher Education's Vitae
The Vanderbilt University Center for Student Professional Development has an online résumé/CV builder that Vanderbilt students can use. A great resource for the "template-inclined" (or formatting-deficient!)
PhDs.org provides a voice for early career scientists. It covers topics from graduate school survival to finding employment. Many of the articles are entertaining; some are cynical; most are informative.
The Career Journal is the Wall Street Journal's online career magazine for executives, managers, and professionals. Thousands of great articles on everything from writing an effective resume, to negotiating a raise. Not specific for scientists, but very valuable advice nonetheless.
Business Week has a similar online career magazine.