International Students

Are you an international student applying for admission to Vanderbilt University School of Medicine? Here are some things you'll need to know:

Accredited Institution

The university or universities that you have attended must be fully accredited. In most cases, students who have attended universities exclusively outside the United States have chosen to supplement their studies with at least one year of course work at an accredited university in the United States.If you have taken your coursework at an international university where English is not the language of instruction, your application may benefit from taking additional science courses at an English-speaking university.

Official Transcripts

Each college or university you have attended must send an official transcript directly to Vanderbilt. It is your responsibility to make these arrangements. If you graduated from a university outside of the U.S. or Canada, you will need to have your transcript verified through a credential service. Evaluating agencies include World Education Services, Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc., and Josef Silny & Associates, Inc. Although you will use AMCAS to apply to Vanderbilt, the service does not accept foreign transcripts (or translated/evaluated transcripts) and they will not be verified. In order for your primary application to be reviewed by the admissions committee, you will need to make arrangements for your verified foreign transcripts to be sent directly to VUSM's Admissions Office.


If you need a student visa (F-1 or J-1), you must be able to document that you have the financial resources to pay for (at a minimum) one year's expenses each year. For more information on visas necessary for studying at Vanderbilt, see International Student & Scholar Services.

Financial Aid

If you need financial aid, you may apply for institutional need-based funding to determine eligibility. To be eligible for Federal loans, you need a permanent resident visa or an immigrant visa if you are not a U.S. citizen. Private funding sources may be available. A helpful website is Financial Aid for International Students. International students can generally obtain a private alternative loan if a U.S. citizen or permanent resident is willing to co-sign the loan.