Job Opportunity: Education and Outreach Program Coordinator, Broad Institute, Cambridge, MA
The office of Diversity, Education and Outreach at the Broad is responsible for the creation and delivery of innovative programming that aims to increase the number of students, especially those from historically underrepresented populations, entering and succeeding in STEM careers. Our office has expertise in developing and implementing curricula for middle school, high school, undergraduate students and post-baccalaureate trainees. Our programs have connected thousands of students with Broad scientists, teaching and inspiring students to pursue successful STEM careers.
The DEO team is looking for a program coordinator to help organize and implement existing and new programing in our K-12 portfolio including, but not limited to: Educational Tours and a Coding Club, an after school program for 6th graders centered around computer programming with an emphasis in biomedical research applications. The coordinator will work with the program manager of education and outreach to develop, oversee and deliver curricula and training programs that leverage the resources and strengths of the Broad Community and its partners. The coordinator will also spend a smaller portion of time providing support for administrative tasks such as scheduling, travel arrangements, and other logistics. The program coordinator will join an office that employs a team-based approach to developing and delivering programming.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Work closely with the program manager to design and implement new education and outreach programming focused on K-12 STEM outreach.
- Develop and implement learning curricula and content with partners in local school districts
- Stay up-to-date on learning science, and pedagogical trends and methodologies
- Coordinate activities related to existing outreach programming, including educational tours, the Cambridge Science Festival, and Broad Scientists in the Classroom
- Support and execute existing program content, in coordination with the program manager and program director.
- Recruit, coordinate, and provide training to volunteers from the Broad community
- Interact with Broad scientists, students, educators, and others partners through a variety of program activities and one-on-one interactions
- Create and maintain calendars for programs requiring regular communication with other Broad staff and partners
- Administrative tasks as needed, such as scheduling, catering, data entry, and event planning and support
- BS in biology, computer science, science education, or other related scientific discipline with 5+ years of related experience required
- Master’s or PhD in STEM or STEM Education preferred
- Experience with STEM curriculum design and implementation (in and/or out of school)
- Experience working with middle and/or high school students through STEM education and outreach programming
- Ability to facilitate interactions with students, faculty, and other administrative partners inside and outside of the Broad
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Must demonstrate strength in oral and written communication
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment
- Must be able to use sound judgment to handle a variety of tasks and effectively anticipate and solve problems.
- Occasional evening and weekend hours required