NIH Technology Transfer Fellowship Program
National Institute for Allergy and Infectious Disease
Technology Transfer Fellowship Program
The National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) Technology Transfer Fellowship Program in the Technology Transfer and Intellectual Property Office (TTIPO) provides an opportunity to learn about the policies and laws that drive technology transfer at NIH and develop the skills for a career in technology transfer. TTIPO has primary responsibility for the technology transfer function of NIAID. This includes negotiating agreements to enable NIAID access to research resources (e.g., through material or information exchange and collaboration), protecting the government’s rights in new inventions through patenting, and negotiating licenses to advance development and commercialization of NIAID discoveries. Currently, NIAID is also providing patenting and licensing service to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
Under the guidance of a mentor, NIAID Technology Transfer Fellows will be trained in activities such as:
- negotiating Confidential Disclosure Agreements, Material Transfer Agreements, Clinical Trial Agreements, Cooperative Research and Development Agreements (CRADAs) and other technology transfer agreements for NIAID;
- reviewing new inventions reported by NIAID or CDC scientists for potential patenting or licensing;
- analyzing a NIAID or CDC patent portfolio and making recommendations on portfolio management;
- reviewing licenses to NIAID or CDC patents or proprietary materials and negotiating license terms in partnership with a federal employee;
- analyzing NIAID or CDC patent portfolios to identify marketing opportunities and strategies; and
- other activities related to technology transfer and intellectual property.
This program, administered by ORAU through its contract with the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) to manage the Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education (ORISE) was established through an interagency agreement between DOE and the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID). The initial appointment is for one year, but may be renewed upon recommendation of NIAID contingent on the availability of funds. The participant will receive a monthly stipend commensurate with educational level and experience. Proof of health insurance is required for participation in this program. The appointment is full-time at NIAID in the Rockville, MD, area. Participants do not become employees of NIH, NIAID, DOE or the program administrator, and there are no employment-related benefits.
Appointments are typically made for one year and are renewable for a total of three years. Stipend rates are established and non-negotiable. Stipends are reported to the U.S. Internal Revenue Service as fellowship awards however, no federal income taxes will be withheld. Stipends are paid monthly.
1st year stipend rate: $58,980 annually
2nd year stipend rate: $64,800 annually
3rd year stipend rate: $72,000 annually
100% of health insurance premiums are covered for individuals or families, as appropriate.
An annual travel and training allowance of $2,500 each is established for each participant for a total of $5,000 annually. Travel and training funds are interchangeable as necessary.
The qualified candidate must have received a master’s or doctoral degree in the relevant fields. Degree must have been received within five years of the appointment start date.
- Citizenship: U.S. Citizen Only
- Degree: Master’s Degree or Doctoral Degree received within 60 month(s).
- Life Health and Medical Sciences
- Other Physical Sciences
How to Apply
A complete application consists of:
- An application
- Transcripts – Click here for detailed information about acceptable transcripts
- A current resume/CV, including academic history, employment history, relevant experiences, and publication list
- Two educational or professional references
All documents must be in English or include an official English translation.
If you have questions, send an email to NIHprograms@orau.org. Please include the reference code for this opportunity in your email.