From Academia to Industry: An Amgen Perspective, Sept 18, 2019, Cambridge, MA, Call for applications via the ASPIRE Program
The ASPIRE Program is partnering with Amgen, Cambridge, MA, to send two senior graduate students or postodoctoral fellows to this annual event:
From Academia to Industry: An Amgen Perspective
(Amgen Postdoc Day)
Wednesday, September 18, 2019
Coordinated by the BRET Office of Career Development, Vanderbilt University
This program is designed for senior graduate students and postdoctoral researchers who are evaluating the next steps in their career and would benefit from spending a day at Amgen to learn about innovation, drug discovery, and drug development in an industry setting. The day will include talks from Amgen leaders, a panel discussion with Amgen staff, facility tours, and plenty of networking opportunities, including a closing reception. This event is a multi-disciplinary program that showcases not only the diversity of science at the Amgen Cambridge site, but also how scientists link together across disciplines to collectively discover, develop, and deliver new treatments to patients worldwide.
The Cambridge site at Amgen is focused on neuroscience, but also have teams dedicated to medicinal chemistry, pharmacokinetics and drug metabolism (PKDM) and toxicology, including cell biologists, geneticists and classical toxicologists/histologists. Additionally they have structural biology and cell-based assay groups. On the operations side of things they perform scale-up and engineering around protein therapeutics.
Applicants will also schedule and attend a series of one-on-one meetings with key individuals at Amgen the day before the event, through the help of Amgen scientists and the BRET office of Career Development staff. Travel will therefore take place early Tuesday, September 17th to Boston, with a return flight the evening of Wednesday, September 18th.
Applications will be collected by the Vanderbilt ASPIRE Program. Two trainees will be selected to participate. Travel costs and accommodations will be covered by the ASPIRE Program for those selected.
1. Applicants must be a current Vanderbilt University graduate student or postdoctoral fellow
——->PhD students who entered graduate school through the IGP, QCB, CPB, MSTP, or IMSD must have passed their qualifying exams before the application deadline. (preference will be given to graduate students in their 4th-6th years or postdoctoral fellows)
2. Applicants must hold U.S. citizenship or dual citizenship between the US and another country.
3. Applicants must be available to travel early Tuesday, September 17th, with a return flight the evening of Wednesday, September 18th.
Deadline to apply: Tuesday, July 30, 2019, 12:00 noon.
- Fill out the application found here: (https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/Amgen_PostdocDay_2019)
- Submit a current CV or resume highlighting academic accomplishments and other experiences relevant to this event
- Submit a letter of interest (300-400 words) describing your interest in a research and development career in the biotechnology or pharma industry, what types of relevant career development activities have you participated in prior to this, and what you hope to gain from such an experience. Please highlight how the research interests at Amgen may align well with your scientific goals and interests.
Please submit documents to Ashley Brady at firstname.lastname@example.org as pdfs with your last name_Amgen_Postdoc Day_2019 in the file name and with subject line: ASPIRE Externship: Amgen
For further questions, please contact Ashley Brady (email@example.com).