2019 Warren Alpert Distinguished Scholar Fellowships
2019 Warren Alpert Distinguished Scholars
This is a joint competition for VU and VUMC investigators. All investigators should follow these instructions.
Vanderbilt (VU+VUMC, collaboratively) may nominate one candidate for the 2019 Warren Alpert Distinguished Scholars. This program supports individual scientists of exceptional creativity who have an MD or PhD degree and who have completed a minimum of three years and not more than five years of a post-doctoral fellowship in the field of basic neurosciences at a medical school.
These awards are given as transitional post-doctoral awards for recipients as they advance to become full time faculty members at the Assistant Professor level or higher. The medical school nominating each scholar will be awarded$200,000 annually for two years to cover their salary, lab costs, and related expenses. Up to fifteen percent of indirect costs is included in the $200,000. All applicants are required to provide 75% effort.
- Postdocs must have a School of Medicine appointment (either VU or VUMC) in a field related to Neuroscience
- Postdocs must have completed at least 3 years and no more than 5 years of a postdoc appointment
- Postdocs must have an MD or PhD
Internal Application Process:
Anyone interested in being considered as Vanderbilt’s nominee must submit the following (in PDF format) toLSO@vanderbilt.edu by5 p.m. on Aug. 15, 2019:
- Brief research plan including summary budget (2 page max);
- 1/2 page description of your applicant background and the special characteristics that you have for implementing the proposed project and career plan.
- Statement of support from department chair/center director;
- NIH Biosketch or abbreviated CV (5 page max)
Submissions should reference “Warren Alpert Distinguished Scholars” in the subject line of the email.
Any questions about this opportunity or the LSO process may be directed toLSO@vanderbilt.edu.