Level Up @ Amicus Summer Internship Program
Amicus Therapeutics is a global, patient-dedicated biotechnology company focused on discovering, developing and delivering high-quality medicines for people living with rare metabolic diseases.
Level Up @ Amicus is our Summer Internship Program, created to give students an opportunity for experiential learning in a corporate environment. This is a meaningful, mutually beneficial program where students will bring innovation and drive that will help us reach our goals. In turn, our highly-skilled Amicus team will help students apply what they already know and broaden their knowledge base.
This is a full-time (40 hours per week) paid internship that will run from May 18, 2020 until August 14, 2020. For best consideration, candidates should apply by no later than February 9, 2020.
Amicus’ discovery science team uses a number of innovative biomedical approaches to design and test a host of biological drugs for the treatment of multiple rare diseases. In addition to receive extensive background on the rare diseases the team works one, interns will receive hands on training in areas such of advanced cell biology and cell imaging techniques, protein biochemistry and structural biology, current analytic techniques including liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry (LC-MS/MS), enzyme kinetics, protein engineering and oligosaccharide characterization. We are seeking a number of qualified Interns to join the Discovery science team and perform these assays in collaboration with our team and advance Amicus projects and programs.
Roles and Responsibilities
The Intern responsibilities may include:
- Performing routine/established assays examining small-molecule drugs, lipids, biomarkers, peptides and several other parameters in biological samples;
- Analyzing data obtained from various molecular, biochemical and histological analyses using appropriate software and statistical tools;
- Reporting results of the studies both in written and oral, assist in the prepare study associated documentation and study reports, and maintain an electronic laboratory notebook
- Demonstrating proficiency in using and maintaining an array of standard and advanced biomedical laboratory instrumentations
- Attending internal meetings and presentations and participate in scientific discussions. Although each intern will be partner with one specific unit within our science team and assigned a focused project aligned to their research interests, all interns will participate in weekly workshop that will provide exposure to all aspect of our science group and to overarching concepts in drug discovery and drug development. Interns will also be asked to present in a weekly science journal club as well as at the end of the internship in our weekly seminar series.
- Working closely with team members to prioritize tasks and meet project timelines
- Collaborating effectively with members of other groups within the organization to advance Amicus projects and programs.
Developmental, Experiential & Educational Value (for Summer Intern):
- Basic laboratory techniques (molecular, cellular, protein and glycobiology) used in the biotechnology field
- Concepts of drug discovery and drug development
- Advanced technologies used in biomedical research
- Application of academic research to targeted drug development
- Biologics drug development for the treatment of rare genetic diseases
- Working in a strong, supportive team, focused on collaboration, professional growth, with a passion for scientific research
Qualifications and Background Requirements
- Must be a current student pursuing a degree in the areas of molecular biology, pharmacology, neuroscience, biochemistry, biology, data science or a related field
- This position will be based at 3675 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA