ASPIRE Internship: Science Communication Internship, VI4, PMI, VUMC
ASPIRE Internship Opportunity:
Science Communication Intern
Vanderbilt Institute for Infection, Immunology, and Inflammation (VI4)
Department of Pathology, Microbiology and Immunology, VUMC
PMI/VI4 at Vanderbilt University Medical Center is looking for a Science Communication Intern.
This position provides an opportunity to contribute to VI4’s mission of training the next generation of scientists and physicians and making fundamental discoveries in the areas of infection biology, immunology, and inflammation with the goal of increasing knowledge and improving human health. Position will also work within the PMI department goals of excellence in teaching, clinical service, and research.
The intern will work under Karisa Calvitti, Social Media Coordinator, Vanderbilt Institute for Infection, Immunology & Inflammation (VI4) and the Department of Pathology, Microbiology and Immunology to execute creative communication strategies around Twitter and websites, interpret data to design infographics and animation, and complete writing assignments.
The ideal candidate must be self-motivated, a team player, results-oriented, and dedicated to the achievement of personal and team goals. This internship requires a candidate with confidence in science communication, excellent writing skills, attention to details, and an interest in science for a variety of audiences.
RESPONSIBILITIES MAY INCLUDE:
- Monitor and post on social networks
- Curate and report on faculty and trainee publications
- Design graphic materials to accompany various communications
- Contribute to website design
- Assist in making marketing and creative materials for community outreach programs
- Internship will run August-December 2020, with the opportunity to extend to next Spring pending review.
- Internship is unpaid
- Part-time (~10 hours per week), flexible and remote due to COVID restrictions, subject to change
Applications due by midnight, Friday July 10, 2020
- Fill out the following ASPIRE Internship Application found here: (https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/VI4App_Fa2020)
- Submit your resume, cover letter (which will show your writing style), and any social media links you manage or own (Twitter, Instagram, websites, etc) to Ashley Brady (email@example.com) for review. (Please submit documents as pdfs with your last name_VI4_Fa2020 in the file name and with subject line: ASPIRE Internship: VI4 Sci Comm)
- Schedule a Zoom meeting with Ashley Brady prior to the application deadline -email her to schedule (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Your information will then be passed along to the department and they will contact you directly to schedule an interview.