Summer internship in science writing and communications with The Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard
The Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard is currently accepting applications for a paid summer internship in science writing and communications.
Applications due date: February 28, 2021
Launched in 2004, the Broad is a biomedical research center located in Cambridge, MA. The institute is dedicated to improving human health by using genomics to advance our understanding of the biology and treatment of human disease, and to helping lay the groundwork for a new generation of therapies.
These paid winter and summer internships, based in the Office of Communications, are designed to provide interns with a comprehensive, mentored experience that touches on many of the major activities of a communications department in an academic research institute.
Interns gain experience in a variety of science writing and communications approaches. In particular, interns have opportunities to:
- Research, report, and write news stories, features, Q&As, blog posts, and other content for the Broad Institute website, all geared toward a smart, curious lay audience.
- Develop new content for the Broad’s Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram accounts.
- Collaborate with designers to develop infographics and other visual material.
- Develop, draft, and edit video scripts.
- Write for our internal newsletter, which is read weekly by more than 4,000 members of the Broad community.
Interns also have opportunities to attend seminars featuring Broad scientists presenting research in progress, and to work with Broad scientists to translate and communicate new scientific findings.
By the end of the internship, interns should have a strong portfolio of clips as well as established contacts within the Broad’s research community, which includes leading scientists from MIT, Harvard, and Harvard-affiliated hospitals.
The winter internship is part-time (20 hours/week) and runs 12 weeks, starting in January and ending in April. The summer internship is full-time (40 hours/week) and also runs 12 weeks, starting in May or June and ending in August.
Interns work remotely, must be based in the US, and must be willing to work East Coast business hours.
We are looking for candidates who have:
- A bachelor’s degree or higher
- Excellent writing and communications skills for a nontechnical audience
- A passion for communicating science to the public
- An ability to meet deadlines and handle multiple projects at once
- An enthusiasm for learning
Background in science, journalism, and/or multimedia production is a plus.
The Broad Institute will not offer visa sponsorship for this opportunity.
How to apply
We are currently accepting internship applications for the summer of 2021. To apply, please send a cover letter, CV/resume, two or three writing samples targeted at a lay audience, and contact information for two references to Corie Lok (email@example.com) and Tom Ulrich (firstname.lastname@example.org) by February 28, 2021.