ASPIRE Internship Opportunity: Science Communication Internship, VI4, PMI, VUMC
ASPIRE Internship Opportunity
VI4, PMI, VUMC
Science Communication Intern
January- May, 2022
VI4 and PMI at Vanderbilt University Medical Center are looking for Science Communication Interns.
This position provides an opportunity to contribute to VI4’s mission of training the next generation of scientists and physicians and making fundamental discoveries in the areas of infection biology, immunology, and inflammation with the goal of increasing knowledge and improving human health. The position will also work within the PMI department goals of excellence in teaching, clinical service, and research.
The interns will work under Karisa Calvitti, Project Manager for the Vanderbilt Institute for Infection, Immunology & Inflammation (VI4) and the Department of Pathology, Microbiology and Immunology to learn about and execute creative communication strategies through both traditional and social media platforms. They will learn to craft the perfect caption, write a compelling editorial, and design infographics and animations. In addition, the intern team will work together to create content for ImmuKnow+, which aims to incorporate different elements of science communication in one platform.
The ideal candidate must be self-motivated, a team player, results-oriented, and dedicated to the achievement of personal and team goals. This internship requires a candidate with a strong interest in science communication, excellent writing skills, attention to details, and an interest in science for a variety of audiences. An interest in creative content such as graphic design and video production is a plus.
Click here to learn more about the internship.
RESPONSIBILITIES MAY INCLUDE:
- Generate written content, images, and videos on current research and discoveries
- Monitor and post on social networks
- Curate and report on faculty and trainee publications
- Produce engaging content in the VI4/PMI video studio
- Design graphic materials to accompany various communications
- Contribute to website design involving basic HTML and CSS coding
- Assist in making marketing and creative materials for community outreach programs
- Internship will run January-May 2022, with the opportunity to extend through the summer pending review.
- Internship is unpaid
- Part-time (~10 hours per week), flexible and a mix of on campus and remote work.
Applications due by noon, Thursday, December 9, 2021.
- Fill out the following ASPIRE Internship Application found here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/InternApp_VI4_SP22
- Submit your resume, cover letter (which will show your writing style), and any social media links you manage or own (Twitter, Instagram, websites, etc) to Ashley Brady (email@example.com) for review. (Please submit documents as pdfs with your last name_VI4_Sp2022 in the file name and with subject line: ASPIRE Internship: VI4 Sci Comm)
- Schedule a Zoom “Advising” meeting with Ashley Brady prior to the application deadline via https://calendly.com/ashley-brady
Your information will then be passed along to the institute and they will contact you directly to schedule an interview.
ASPIRE Internship eligibility requirements
- Applicants must be a current Vanderbilt University PhD student or a current postdoctoral fellow.
- All PhD students must have completed all coursework for their degree prior to the start of the internship.
- Biomedical PhD students must also have passed their qualifying exams before the application deadline.
- Students and postdocs may not participate in more than one internship at a time. More than one application may be submitted at a single time, but only one position can be accepted.
- If you are not in a department supported by the BRET office, we will also require that you complete a form guaranteeing PI approval to participate in this program. Please contact Ashley Brady at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- If you are an international student or postdoctoral fellow, your visa status may affect your work eligibility. Please contact Ashley Brady (email@example.com) to discuss this further.
- Must have authorization to work in the US