Fellowship Opportunity: Biomedical Technology Transfer Fellowship at the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research (WRAIR) – Silver Spring, MD or Remote
The Walter Reed Army Institute of Research (WRAIR) carries out research to develop infectious disease countermeasures and to benefit brain health through studies to enhance our understanding of sleep, traumatic brain injury prevention/treatment and psychological resilience.
WRAIR’s Technology Transfer Office (TTO) is offering an opportunity to learn about the policies and laws that drive technology transfer for biomedical product development at Federal Laboratories and to develop the skills for a career in technology transfer. TTO has primary responsibility for the technology transfer function of WRAIR. This includes assisting in the development of technology transfer agreements to enable WRAIR’s access to research resources (e.g., through material or information exchange and collaboration), to protect the government’s rights in new inventions through patenting, and to advance development and to commercialize WRAIR discoveries.
As WRAIR participant, you will be given an opportunity to apply a science background to a career in technology transfer and to create a new competency. This learning opportunity will further prepare you for positions in medical technology transfer offices within academia, industry, or the federal government. Under the guidance of a mentor you will be trained in activities such as:
- Negotiating Confidential Disclosure Agreements, Material Transfer Agreements, Clinical Trial Agreements, Cooperative, Research and Development Agreements (CRADAs) and other technology transfer agreements for WRAIR.
- Reviewing new inventions reported by WRAIR scientists for potential patenting or licensing.
- Analyzing WRAIR patent portfolio and making recommendations on portfolio management.
- Analyzing WRAIR patent portfolios to identify marketing opportunities and strategies.
- Other activities related to technology transfer and intellectual property.
- Develop comprehensive understanding of the scientific portfolios in the biomedical field in order to serve as a subject matter expert.
- Understand the scientific patenting strategies and aiding in identifying inventions for submission into the Invention Evaluation Committee (IEC).
- Develop scientific relationships with partners in academia, industry and other probable partners.
Where will I be located?
Silver Spring, Maryland OR This appointment can be completed virtually so 100% participation from home is an option.
What is the anticipated start date?
WRAIR is ready to make appointments immediately. Exact start dates will be determined at the time of selection and in coordination with the selected candidate. Applications are reviewed on an ongoing basis and fellowships will be filled as qualified candidates are identified.
What is the appointment length?
This is a twelve month research appointment, with the possibility to be renewed for additional research periods. Appointments may be extended depending on funding availability, project assignment, program rules, and availability of the participant.
What are the benefits?
Participants will receive a stipend to be determined by WRAIR. Stipends are typically based on the participant’s academic standing, discipline, experience, and research facility location. The starting stipend for MS Degree with no experience is 60K and Ph.D. with no experience is 66K. Other benefits may include the following:
- Health Insurance Supplement. Participants are eligible to purchase health insurance through ORISE.
- Relocation Allowance
- Training and Travel Allowance
Candidates should be currently pursuing or have received a master’s or doctoral degree in biomedical research fields (biology, chemistry, pharmacology, microbiology and other sciences). Degree must have been received within five years of the appointment start date.
Ideal candidates will have a competitive academic performance (reflected in academic transcripts), research and communication (oral and written) skills and demonstrated capacity for creative thinking, and expertise in a STEM-related field, and be interested in being part of a multi-disciplinary, fast-paced environment, focused on biomedical research.
To view application requirements and submit your application, click here.