Janssen Scholars of Oncology Diversity Engagement Program (SODEP)
We are delighted to announce the launch of the Janssen Scholars of Oncology Diversity Engagement Program (SODEP): details are available at www.janssensodep.com. SODEP consists of three steps:
- Exposure to industry at the virtual Janssen Oncology Day (September 14, 2022 – 150 Participants), an all-day program that will provide an overview of the various opportunities within science and medicine, providing a unique opportunity to be exposed to the R&D process within industry and understand the critical skillsets fostering a successful industry career through:
Presentations by Janssen Oncology leaders highlighting the many roles available for scientists and physicians in oncology drug development
Smaller breakout sessions for in-depth dialogue on what success looks like in industry, transferable skills from academia to industry, etc.
Interested scholars will submit a personal statement (1-2 pages) highlighting current research interests/interest in the program and 1 letter of reference.
2. Mentorship (Application due October 12, 2022 – 15 Participants)
Up to15 scholars who attend Janssen Oncology Day will be selected for this step of the program, in which the scholars will be paired with Janssen leaders in an ongoing one-year mentoring experience, where they will receive career coaching and guidance. In addition, scholars will receive funding for conference travel, research supplies, and training courses.
Mentors will support scholars in identifying and applying for appropriate open positions at Janssen, where available.
3. Potential Placement (2023+): Opportunity to join the Janssen team
If scholars are interested in transitioning into a career in industry, their relationship with their mentor will provide them with support in identifying and applying for any appropriate open positions at Janssen.
Those that meet the following requirements are eligible to participate in SODEP:
- self-identify as African-American/Black or Hispanic
- citizens or permanent residents of the United States
- full-time PhD students in year 2 or later, PharmD students, 1st/2ndyear medical students, and postdoctoral fellows
- engaged or interested in oncology or other closely related disciplines such as immunology, molecular biology, biochemistry, pharmaceutical sciences, computational biology/data sciences, clinical research, and pharmacology.
Registration is currently open for the virtual Janssen Oncology Day, which will take place on September 14, 2022. We encourage early registration, as admission is rolling and will be closed when we reach 150 registrants. Applications are now being accepted for step 1 of Janssen SODEP, “Janssen Oncology Day” (virtual)! Admission will be rolling until maximum number of participants (150) is reached so apply early (prior applicants are welcomed).
Application deadline is Sept 1, 2022. Candidates must submit a CV and confirm that they fulfill the following requirements at janssensodep.com:
- Self-identify as African-American/Black or Hispanic
- Citizens or permanent residents of the United States
- Full-time PhD students in year 2+ of graduate program, medical students (years 1&2), PharmD students, or post-doctoral fellows
- Engaged or interested in oncology, immunology, or other closely related disciplines such as molecular biology, biochemistry, pharmaceutical sciences, computational biology/data sciences, clinical research, and pharmacology.
We all believe that an increase in scientists and physicians from diverse backgrounds is a necessity to address the numerous health inequities that currently exist in certain populations within our society. The intent of this program is to provide promising students a unique opportunity towards obtaining the best research and employment opportunities within industry or academia, and to set themselves up for success in their long-term careers in the sciences.