Investigator – Encoded Library Technologies (ELT) Biophysics, GSK, Cambridge, MA
GSK is seeking a highly motivated scientist to join the multidisciplinary Encoded Library Technologies (ELT) team. As a member of the ELT Biophysics Group, you will support small molecule drug discovery programs across GSK with specific accountability for biophysical aspects of hit identification, hit validation, and further developing platform capabilities. Additionally, you will represent the group providing biophysics expertise to cross-functional project teams.
The successful candidate will have substantial, hands-on experience with various biophysical (e.g., MST, SPR, DSF, DLS, FP, switchSENSE) and biochemical (e.g., mass spectrometry, analytical chromatography, SDS-PAGE) techniques. Experience with membrane-bound proteins, RNA aptamers, and/or computational biophysics (e.g., MD, course graining) is a plus. This experience could be from an academic, biotechnology, or pharmaceutical industry setting. We seek a strategic thinker with a demonstrated ability to work in teams, effectively communicate science, pursue and prioritize multiple simultaneous projects, and deliver high quality results on time.
GlaxoSmithKline is a world leading research-based pharmaceutical company that combines both individual talent & technical resources to create a platform for the delivery of strong growth in a rapidly changing healthcare market. Our mission is to improve the quality of human life by enabling people to do more, feel better, & live longer. GSK is headquartered in London, UK with operations in the US; this opening is located at the Cambridge, MA, USA site.
This role will provide YOU the opportunity to lead key activities to progress YOUR career, these responsibilities include some of the following…
- Accountable for the strategy, design, execution, and data analysis of biophysical assays to support small molecule hit identification for genetically validated drug targets
- Develop a deep understanding of affinity-based screening and contribute to the advancement of a discovery platform that builds off GSK’s investments in genetics, the immune system, and AI/ML
- Represent the team on multidisciplinary drug discovery and platform development projects locally and with GSK colleagues across multiple R&D sites, worldwide
- Contribute to publications, presentations, and collaborations that enhance the visibility of the team
- Ensure compliance with all GSK R&D data integrity practices, ethics codes, work practice training and standards.
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- PhD or an MS and 3+ years of relevant experience in molecular biophysics, biochemistry, or related fields.
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- Demonstrated ability to formulate and implement strategic research plans
- Demonstrated written and oral communication skills, including publications in peer reviewed journals and presentations at scientific conferences
- Molecular biophysics research experience with the structure, function, and dynamics of proteins and protein complexes; protein-ligand, protein-protein, and protein-DNA binding; or membrane-bound proteins
- Hands-on experience with affinity selection screening techniques, especially DNA Encoded Libraries (DEL) technologies or affinity selection mass spectrometry (ASMS).
- Strong data literacy, including large data set analysis and visualization skills, including experience with R, python, or equivalent, and/or Spotfire.
- Hands-on experience with robotic liquid handlers (e.g., Agilent Bravo)
- Demonstrated strengths in high performance behaviors, such as building relationships, flexible thinking, and enabling/driving change
- Demonstrated scientific leadership.
GSK is a global biopharma company with a special purpose – to unite science, technology and talent to get ahead of disease together – so we can positively impact the health of billions of people and deliver stronger, more sustainable shareholder returns – as an organisation where people can thrive. Getting ahead means preventing disease as well as treating it, and we aim to impact the health of 2.5 billion people around the world in the next 10 years.
Our success absolutely depends on our people. While getting ahead of disease together is about our ambition for patients and shareholders, it’s also about making GSK a place where people can thrive. We want GSK to be a place where people feel inspired, encouraged and challenged to be the best they can be. A place where they can be themselves – feeling welcome, valued and included. Where they can keep growing and look after their wellbeing. So, if you share our ambition, join us at this exciting moment in our journey to get Ahead Together.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
At GSK, the health and safety of our employees are of paramount importance. As a science-led healthcare company on a mission to get ahead of disease together, we believe that supporting vaccination against COVID-19 is the single best thing we can do in the US to ensure the health and safety of our employees, complementary workers, workplaces, customers, consumers, communities, and the patients we serve.
GSK has made the decision to require all US employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, where allowed by state or local law and where vaccine supply is readily available. The only exceptions to this requirement are employees who are approved for an accommodation for religious, medical or disability-related reasons.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK’s commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK’s compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK’s Transparency Reporting For the Record site.