Job Opportunity: Postdoctoral Fellow, Microbial Genomics, NIAID, Bethesda, MD
The National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) conducts and supports a global program of research to better understand, treat, and ultimately prevent infectious, immunologic, and allergic diseases. The Laboratory of Clinical Immunology and Microbiology (LCIM) within the NIAID Division of Intramural Research (DIR) is seeking candidates for a postdoctoral fellow position within the Bacterial Pathogenesis and Antimicrobial Resistance Unit. This position will offer a unique opportunity to work at the intersection of pathogen genomics, clinical infectious diseases, and computational biology. The lab uses a variety of genomics and metabolomics approaches in combination with in vitro directed evolution to study bacterial pathogens and antimicrobial resistance, with a focus on intra-host evolution in the context of infection. Access to state-of-the-art short- and long-read sequencing, metabolomics, and computational resources is available. For more information, visit the Bacterial Pathogenesis and Antimicrobial Resistance Unit’s webpage and see an example of recent work.
- Ph.D. work in bioinformatics, computational or systems biology, computer science, engineering, physics, or a related discipline
- Proficiency in quantitative data analysis in the Linux/Unix environment and experience with programs such as R/Bioconductor and/or coding in scripting languages such as Python or Perl
- Experience with bacterial genomic or metabolomic analysis
- A record of relevant, high-quality publications
- Interest in bacterial pathogen evolution and/or bacterial antimicrobial resistance
- Experience with standard molecular biology techniques
- Experience with bacterial culture techniques
To apply, send your curriculum vitae (CV), bibliography, three references who may be contacted for letters, and a short statement about your skill set and research interests to Dr. John Dekker at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Visit NIAID Careers for information about working in NIAID’s dynamic atmosphere!
HHS, NIH, and NIAID are equal opportunity employers dedicated to diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility.