ASPIRE on the Road is headed to San Francisco, Spring 2023 application now open!
We will spend time with area biotechnology and pharma companies learning about career paths, hearing from key leadership, touring the facilities, and meeting with alumni. Read more about past trips here: https://medschool.vanderbilt.edu/career-development/aspire-on-the-road/
A maximum of 12 trainees will be selected to participate. Airfare and hotel accommodations will be covered by the ASPIRE Program for those selected to participate.
Co-sponsored by the Vanderbilt University Basic Science’s Dean’s Office and Vanderbilt University Development and Alumni Relations.
ASPIRE On the Road is an initiative of the Vanderbilt ASPIRE Program aimed at broadening the training experiences of biomedical PhD graduate students and postdocs by organizing site visits to companies and organizations to help our trainees make well-informed career decisions.
We will be working to build out the agenda over the coming months, but it will look similar to those of past trips and include site visits to about 5 biopharma companies focused on R&D initiatives at those organizations and representing large, midsize and start-ups, a possible visit with California Life Science, one of the state’s BIO affiliates, and a tour of a local incubator like JLabs. In addition there will be an alumni happy hour that will take place at a local restaurant on the evening of Tues, May 2 and will include alumni in all types of careers who are located in the San Francisco area.
1. Applicants must be a current Vanderbilt University or VUMC PhD student or postdoctoral fellow in the biomedical sciences.
2. PhD students must have passed their qualifying exams before the application deadline.
3. Applicants must be able to attend the full site visit in San Francisco, May 1-3, 2023; this will require departure from Nashville early on Monday, May 1.
4. Selected participants must be able to provide proof of vaccination and bring their vaccination card on the trip. This may be required to gain access to industry facilities as well as restaurants in the area.
DEADLINE to APPLY: Tuesday, January 24th, 2023 at noon
To submit your application:
- Complete the online form found at this link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/AOTR_2023
- Email your current CV or resume highlighting academic accomplishments and other experiences relevant to this event to email@example.com with subject line “ASPIRE on the Road Application”
- Email your cover letter (1 page max) describing your interest in a research and development career in the biotechnology or pharma industry, what types of relevant career development activities you have participated in prior to this, and what you hope to gain from such an experience to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line “ASPIRE on the Road Application”
For more information about the agenda and alumni happy hour, please visit our website (we are still building the program so watch for updates): https://medschool.vanderbilt.edu/career-development/aspire-on-the-road-spring-2023/
Questions? please contact Ashley Brady (email@example.com)