Bioinformatics Research Associate – Vanderbilt University
The Bioinformatics Research Associate is part of the Creative Data Solutions (CDS) Shared Resource at Vanderbilt University and is a key individual contributor responsible for performing bioinformatics analyses of genomic data sets, developing and implementing (genetic and other) statistical models, and contributing to research studies. This position requires that the ideal candidate will have experience in analyzing large-scale genomic data, including next-generation sequencing data, and a strong understanding of statistical analysis methods including statistical genetics. The candidate should be able to work independently and as part of a team, with excellent communication and problem-solving skills. Reporting directly to the Director of CDS, the Bioinformatics Research Associate will interact with a multitude of investigators throughout the Vanderbilt community on several projects at any one time.
Creative Data Solutions (CDS), a Vanderbilt University Shared Resource, provides informatics and bioinformatics services to investigators in the fields of academic and clinical research, with an emphasis on life sciences. CDS blends modern data science approaches with robust software and database engineering to provide practical solutions to problems and challenges faced by research investigators in a timely and cost-effective fashion.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Analyze and interpret large-scale genomic data sets using bioinformatics tools and methods.
- Develop and implement statistical models for the analysis of genomic and genetics data.
- Contribute to the design and execution of research studies involving genomic and genetics data.
- Collaborate with other team members to interpret and present research findings.
- Stay up-to-date with the latest developments in bioinformatics, genomics, and statistical genetics.
- Develop and maintain pipelines for processing and analyzing large-scale genomic data sets.
- Collaborate with other bioinformatics and laboratory personnel to ensure the quality and accuracy of genomic data.
- Interpret and visualize genomic data, and prepare reports and presentations for research studies and publications.
- Participate in the development of new analytical methods and techniques for genomic data analysis.
- Provide bioinformatics support for clinical studies and trials involving genomic data.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of data management and sharing policies for genomic data.
- Provide training and technical support to other team members and collaborators on bioinformatics tools and methods.
- Participate in scientific conferences, workshops, and training programs to stay up-to-date with the latest advancements in bioinformatics, genomics, and statistical genetics.
- Communicate and collaborate with external partners and stakeholders, such as academic and industry researchers, regulatory agencies, and patient advocacy groups, on research projects and initiatives.
- Ph.D. degree in bioinformatics, computational biology, genetics, statistics, or a related field is required
- Post-doctoral experience or skill is preferred.
- Experience with BioVU would be an added benefit.
- Background or experience in bioinformatics and statistical genetics is required.
- Proficiency in programming languages such as R and/or Python
- Knowledge of statistical analysis methods for genomic data, including GWAS, rare variant analysis, and eQTL analysis.
- Familiarity with common bioinformatics tools and databases, such as Ensembl, UCSC Genome Browser, and dbGaP.
- Familiarity with HPC and cloud computing infrastructure.
- Excellent communication and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
Apply at https://ecsr.fa.us2.oraclecloud.com/hcmUI/CandidateExperience/en/sites/CX (search for Requisition ID 10003825). Questions about the position? Contact JP Cartailler.