Job Opportunity: Program Officer, Engagement Award Program, Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute, Washington DC
See full job description and application information here
The Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI) is an independent nonprofit organization authorized by Congress in 2010. Its mission is to fund research that will provide patients, their caregivers and clinicians with the evidence-based information needed to make better-informed healthcare decisions. PCORI is committed to continually seeking input from a broad range of stakeholders to guide its work.
Under the direction of the Eugene Washington PCORI Engagement Award Program Director, the Program Officer is responsible for strategic decision-making and high-level management of Engagement Award Program activities that advance PCORI’s Engagement mission. The Program Officer will provide intellectual and organizational leadership in reviewing applications and managing a portfolio of awards; refining current funding opportunities; designing and implementing new funding opportunities; assessing and evaluating program activities; and helping shape the strategic direction of program. The Program Officer will also work collaboratively across PCORI to support organization-wide initiatives.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Review and assess letters of intent, proposals, and application materials and provide funding recommendations.
- Manage portfolio of funded projects (awards), including but not limited to monitoring progress toward project goals, assessing project reports deliverables and providing technical assistance.
- Manage relationships with awardees from diverse healthcare communities, including patient organizations, researchers, clinicians and the broader health and healthcare community.
- Steward awards in accordance with PCORI policies and procedures.
- Support creation or revision of Engagement Award Program policies and procedures as needed.
- Support refinement of current Engagement Award funding opportunities and development of new funding opportunities.
- Serve as key staff in conceptualizing, refining and executing strategic objectives and directions for the Engagement Award Program.
- Advise potential applicants on Engagement Award Program goals, project ideas and application process.
- Respond to external inquiries related to the Engagement Award Program.
- Serve on Engagement Award special project teams and lead related tasks as requested.
- Develop programmatic materials for PCORI committees, advisory panels, and Board of Governors.
- Support cross-departmental and organization-wide initiatives.
- Represent PCORI externally to applicant communities and others.
- May manage the work of and provide training for program associates, coordinators, interns, administrative assistants, and consultants, as assigned by the Program Director.
- Travel (less than 25%) for site visits and representing PCORI at external meetings.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
Incumbent(s) in this position may be required to perform other duties and special assignments not specifically stated above.
Statements outlined in this section are designated as essential job functions in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including presenting effectively to broad and/or diverse audiences;
- Strong oral presentation skills;
- Able to synthesize material and focus quickly on the essence of an issue; to identify major opportunities in a specific area; to see the big picture;
- Strong project and people management skills;
- Excellent time management skills;
- Personally motivated to support PCORI’s mission and goals; to work independently and in teams to think imaginatively about opportunities; to create and respond to innovative approaches to addressing an issue; to inspire others to work towards achieving team goals while being tolerant of ambiguity and change;
- Outstanding interpersonal and teamwork skills; collegial, energetic, able to develop productive relationships with colleagues, awardees, consultants, external funders, and others who contribute to program development and management;
- Sound judgment and maturity, exemplified by consistent professionalism in dealing with individuals at all levels, both internally and externally;
- Ability to make sound decisions and justify recommendations;
- Ability to travel, as required, including for site visits and representing PCORI at external meetings;
- Ability to link organizational goals to individual department mission and activities;
- Ability to envision innovative solutions and provide practical strategies for achieving them;
- Understanding of the research process from generating a research question to dissemination;
- Broad knowledge and appreciation of patient-centeredness and patient engagement practices in the healthcare system
- Experience working with multiple health care stakeholder communities preferred
- Master’s degree plus minimum of five (5) years of experience relevant to patient-centered outcomes research; a doctoral degree in a relevant field may substitute for up to two years’ relevant work experience.
- Experience in the scientific or healthcare research environment.
- Experience in grant or contract management.
- Experience managing projects involving community or patient engagement highly desirable.
- Experience managing complex tasks and multiple priorities effectively.
The health and safety of our employees is a top priority. As part of that commitment, PCORI requires all employees, regardless of remote work status, to be vaccinated against COVID-19. As a prospective and/or a new employee at PCORI, you will be required to comply with PCORI’s vaccination policy, report your vaccination status, and provide proof of vaccination. Compliance with the policy does allow for exceptions, but those exceptions will only be granted in circumstances related to medical conditions, disabilities, and sincerely held religious beliefs. Continuing with this application indicates your intent to comply with PCORI’s Mandatory COVID-19 Vaccination Policy.
PCORI conducts background checks on all applicants.
PCORI’s Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion:
PCORI is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity both internal and external to the workplace. You can learn more about our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion here. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.