Science and Analytics Intern
209 10th Ave. S.
Nashville, TN 37203
axialHealthcare is transforming the lives of patients in pain and revolutionizing the delivery of pain care through insightful data analysis, data modeling, and creation of effective cloud-based platforms. We are currently seeking energetic, highly motivated, part-time interns enrolled in a graduate or post-graduate program in biomedical science, engineering, computer science, mathematics, or related field. At axialHealthcare, you will work in an open, fast-paced environment, witness and actively contribute to the growth of a small start-up company, develop and refine communication skills with cross-functional teams, gain business acumen, and delve into the exciting and highly-marketable world of big data analytics. Apply your academic research skills in the workplace!
Opportunities for Growth:
- Improve and/or save lives of patients
- Enhance cost savings for our clients
- Develop knowledge about healthcare, claims, and small business environments
- Learn structured query language (SQL) and python programming
- Explore large datasets and database management/design
Projects at axialHealthcare
CASE STUDIES: analyze large data sets to discover and summarize case studies for pain patients both on and off opioids
BUNDLED PAYMENT INITIATIVE: analyze medical claims data to understand how pain is treated and design bundled payments for pain conditions using multivariate regression models and machine learning
NEONATAL ABSTINANCE SYNDROME (NAS): identify NAS births in medical claims data and compare costs and outcomes to other pregnancies
DEATH AND OPIOIDS: use the data to detect overdoses resulting in death and identify deaths related to opioid use, typically related to respiratory depression
BEHAVIORAL HEALTH AND OPIOIDS: study the relationship between behavioral health and opioid overuse and abuse
Internship Responsibilities and Job Functions
axialHealthcare interns perform tasks such as reviewing and organizing literature, performing descriptive statistics using python and SQL, brainstorming testable hypotheses, designing and implementing models, creating graphs, charts, and other visualizations for clients and leadership, creating and running quality assurance (QA) tests on code, and documenting code.
axialHealthcare provides health insurers with interoperable big data advanced analytics, network solutions, and a connect platform to improve clinical and economic outcomes for patients in pain. We began as a group of physicians, scientists, technologists, and entrepreneurs passionately committed to helping patients in pain and have grown to a company of over 20 employees. We are located in downtown Nashville, TN, in Cummins Station. Visit us at axialhealthcare.com. Stay tuned for a new website and branding in February 2016.
- Internship will be flexible from March to Mid-May, 2016. (appx 12 weeks, with the option to extend pending review).
- Internship is paid, part-time (8-10hrs per week on site, more hours possible as desired by candidate
Applications due by midnight,
Sunday, February 21, 2016 Extended! Midnight Tuesday, February 23, 2016
Your information will then be passed along to the company who will contact you directly to schedule an interview.
For further questions, please contact Ashley Brady (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Applicants must be a current Vanderbilt University PhD student or a current postdoctoral fellow.
- All PhD students must have completed all coursework for their degree prior to the Fall 2015 semester.
- Biomedical PhD students must also have passed their qualifying exams before the application deadline.
- If you are not in a department supported by the BRET office, we will also require that you complete a form guaranteeing PI approval to participate in this program. Please contact Ashley Brady at email@example.com for more information.
- If you are an international student or postdoctoral fellow, your visa status may affect your work eligibility. Please contact Ashley Brady to discuss this further.