Nashville Biosciences (firstname.lastname@example.org) is seeking business-minded statistical/programming experts to join an exciting Nashville biotechnology startup that is transforming drug discovery and development
Title: Data Scientist
We are offering an exciting opportunity to get involved at the ground level of a biotech startup with potential to be a big disruptor in biopharma drug discovery & development. We are seeking several business-minded R&D scientists to join a growing team of fast-paced and forward-thinking innovators, as we seek to deploy our disruptive phenomics & genomics technology across the biopharma industry. Interested candidates are motivated self-starters who would thrive in the fast paced, challenging environment of a startup. In this role you will work closely with senior leadership to develop scientific insights to guide company deliverables and overall strategy. You will be responsible for analyzing and programming new methods for interpreting and organizing the results generated by our proprietary datasets. You will also be responsible for creating systems for mining external databases to enrich the datasets available to Nashville Biosciences. Central to this work will be programming with expertise in multiple different computing languages and effectively communicating with the team to independently identify and solve systematic issues.
– Analyze and create systematic methods for using clinical data sets to validate results
– Identify potential bottlenecks of routine processes and create alternative options to streamline analysis
– Enrich the dataset available to Nashville Biosciences by merging external databases, analytics, and evaluation methods
– Create algorithms for mining structured information from clinical data sets and implement available code for mining unstructured data
– Communicate these findings by synthesizing results into clear, comprehensive materials to deliver to clients
– Support creation of proposal materials for proactive business development outreach
– Manage ongoing projects for each contract/account to ensure deliverables are executed in a timely fashion
– Work collaboratively with relevant Vanderbilt experts and client contacts when specific scientific expertise needed for client service work
– MD, biological sciences PhD, and/or PharmD preferred with previous programming experience
– 1-2 years of project management experience
– Experience in human genetics, population genomics, next-generation sequencing, and/or genome- or phenome-wide association studies is helpful
– Strong understanding of basic biology, especially as it relates to human disease processes, pharmacology, drug-protein interactions, and signaling pathways
– Experienced at navigating literature searches, online databases, scientific articles and interacting with other scientific experts
– Strong pattern recognition in complex datasets
– Good feel for clinical indications of basic diseases
– Understanding of physician ICD9 coding and diagnoses habits is an added benefit
– Familiarity with statistics/biomedical informatics is a plus
– Basic knowledge of one or more relevant programming languages is an added benefit
– Authorized to work in the US
– Startup mindset – willingness to grow, adapt quickly, and take on new roles as needs of company change
– Collaborator – very comfortable working within multi-disciplinary teams, using a fast-moving iterative approach
– Business-minded – thoughtful of client needs, timely product delivery
– Curious – interested in digging deep into disease areas and underlying biology/science
Compensation will be competitive with other positions in the field.
Interested applicants should email resumes to email@example.com
About us: We are a biotech startup that is fundamentally changing drug discovery & development processes in biopharma. Originally spun out of Vanderbilt University Medical Center, we are the only company of its kind that leverages years of rich longitudinal clinical data and genomic information of hundreds of thousands of individuals to address pressing R&D questions for our clients in the biopharmaceutical industry. We leverage this massive databank, along with unique computational methods developed at VUMC, to offer a range of precision medicine services to biopharma.
We are an equal opportunity employer & prohibit unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin/ancestry, age, disability, marital & veteran status.