Immediate Supervisor: Mark Sussman, PhD
Effective: March, 2017
FUNCTION OF THE UNIT
The visionary goal of CardioCreate is to develop therapeutic treatments for damaged heart tissue using regenerative medicine platforms. The breakthrough therapy research pursued by the company represents a critical and fundamental step toward realization of moving regenerative medicine therapeutic treatment from the bench to the bedside to not only treat, but to cure heart failure.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
Research for this position involves multiple innovative wet bench-related activities including the harvest, expansion and lentiviral-based enhancement of cardiac progenitor cells (CPCs) with Pim-1 and subsequent assessments involving industry-wide accepted tumorigenesis and genotoxicity assays. CardioCreate proposes the use of our patented Pim-1 enhanced CPCs (CardioEnhancersTM) to become the leading therapeutic treatment with the potential for restoration of cardiac function to improve not just lifespan but also quality of life in heart failure patients. The goal of this STTR Phase I proposal is to advance toward fulfillment of FDA mandated regulatory standard safety profile testing that will enable eventual IND approval for a Phase I Clinical Trial using CardioEnhancersTM.
The following information is intended to be representative of the work performed by incumbents in this position and is not all-inclusive. The omission of a specific duty or responsibility will not preclude it from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical extension of position responsibilities. Job descriptions may be changed at any time based on the needs of the department.
The technician will be responsible for execution of the following duties:
Aim 1. Safety studies of CardioEnhancersTM tumorigenic profile.
Aim 1.1 CardioEnhancersTM testing using in vitro immortalization assay.
Aim 1.2 Transcriptional profiling of CardioEnhancersTM to assess impact of Pim-1 upon gene expression.
Aim 2. Safety studies of Pim-1 overexpression to assess genotoxicity in CardioEnhancersTM.
Aim 2.1 CardioEnhancersTM genotoxic profile using the in vitro micronucleus test (IVMNT).
Aim 2.2 Profiling of CardioEnhancersTM for Anti-γH2A.X (phospho S139) as an indicator of DNA double-strand
breaks (DSBs) to assess genotoxic impact.
Milestones by end of proposed studies:
1. Complete tumorigenicity studies.
2. Complete genotoxicity studies.
3. Prepare STTR Phase II application based upon favorable safety profile of CardioEnhancersTM.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SPECIAL SKILLS
Knowledge and Abilities
- Ability to formulate experiments and analyze data in an independent manner.
- Thorough knowledge of different mice models of diseases in the heart.
- Ability to lead, motivate and supervise staff in the lab.
- The ability to communicate well, verbally and in written form.
- Interact effectively with co-workers.
- The ability to report to work on time.
- Ability to follow directions from a supervisor.
- Accept constructive criticism.
- Understand and follow posted work rules and procedures
- Ability to relate well to others within the lab environment.
Highly motivated self-starter, with a high energy level and strong interpersonal skills.
Well organized, ability to meet deadlines, detail oriented; possess good judgment and common sense.
Demonstrate a high level of cross-cultural sensitivity.
- Prior experience in a research laboratory.
- Undergraduate degree in a related field of study from a four-year college or university; graduate degree at MS or PhD level preferred.
- Co-author on at least one peer reviewed research publication
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS AND SPECIAL SKILLS
- Ability to troubleshoot, implement solutions, and work independently.
- Skill at data analysis, interpretation of findings, summarization of results and progress toward completion of milestones.
- Ability to communicate effectively in written form and prepare reports for funding agencies as well as publication of findings.
Download the full job description